September Writing Challenge #14 – 5 Things I have Learned from Working
I have been working full time for 15 years since I was 18 years old (now you can do the math on my age) and it has definitely not always been easy. Since kids are not in my future, I don’t see my full time work status changing until retirement and that can be pretty scary sometimes
- Payday makes it all worth it. And what a coincidence, it’s pay day today! I mean, really, if we didn’t get paid, would we really work as hard as we do? I would, but not at this, I would be doing something that feels rewarding and something I’m passionate about.
- HR is SO much tougher than anyone realizes! I have been in HR for about 12 years and it gets tougher all the time. What people don’t know is that HR does so much more than make sure your pay hits your bank account in time and enforces rules (rules that we don’t make, by the way!) Long gone are the days where all HR does is make sure everyone fills in paperwork correctly, we are now seen as strategic business partners with an actual voice at the table and we expected to not only perform at a high level ourselves, but take part of the responsibility for the people side of the entire organization. However, HR is kind of the punching bag of the organization. When things aren’t going well, let’s see what HR did wrong with the people, and how they plan on fixing it. Just an FYI, when things are going well, HR is rarely on the receiving end of any praise. I can write so much about this, but I’m going to stop here, I’m sure it will be a post in the future.
- If you make a mistake, own it. If you try to cover it up, 9 times out of 10 someone will find out and trying to hide the mistake will look worse than the mistake in the first place.
- Be nice. It’s not uncommon that you will see your coworkers more often than you see your own family. We all know some people in the office that you don’t really like, but it doesn’t hurt anyone to be nice. Remember “you catch more flies with honey than vinegar”!Last, but definitely not least,
- You create your own situations, so create the best ones. I think this one goes without explaining… just something to keep in mind whenever you’re having a bad day 🙂